SALENTOMEGALITIC
GIUGGIANELLO - THE LAND OF PUGLIA'S MEGALITHS
The archaeological riches of a village submerged by history and the earth: Quattromacine.
The main archaeological discoveries in the hamlet of Quattromacine are related to two places of worship. The first church, dating back to the 10th-11th centuries, is distinguished by the prestige and importance of the finds uncovered during the first and only excavation conducted by the University of Salento. It houses the commemoration of a deceased male of approximately 35 years of age, well-nourished and free of any obvious pathologies, buried between the altar and the iconostasis of the building, evidently occupying a privileged position.
Decorated with frescoes at the time of its construction, it was renovated and frescoed again in the 13th century.
Beneath the 13th-century earth and beaten tufa floor, liturgical instruments relating to the Greek rite were discovered, for the first time in an archaeological context.
In front of the side table, inside the sanctuary, two teaspoons were discovered, an object whose identification is still uncertain, and a "lance" or knife. Symbolically representing the spear of the soldier who pierced Christ's belly on Golgotha, it was used to divide the Eucharistic bread during Mass.
This is significant because the largest number of Eucharistic molds discovered in Italy come from Salento, where at least twenty can be counted, three of which come from Quattromacine.
During the Norman period, in the 11th century, a second church was built, with two naves and two apses. It served as the nucleus of a cemetery that lasted until the Angevin period. Various tombstones came from the cemetery, one of which bears the date 1173/4 inscribed in Greek.
The remains of 75 individuals were recovered from here, and their study was entrusted to anthropologist Trevor Anderson.
Although Quattromacine remained the property of the Bishop of Otranto in the 15th century, it was abandoned and is one of the few villages for which there is evidence that it was destroyed during the capture of Otranto in 1480-81 by the troops of Sultan Mehmet II.
In place of the farmhouse, a tower was built, which developed into a farmhouse inhabited until 1955.
The village also yielded numerous objects and accessories of clothing, ornaments, and personal use.




